I don't really know what compelled me to feel the need to write about this, but I do, so bear with me.
I read this article on CNN this morning and was moved by it:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/27/wwi.veteran.death/index.html
So the last living US World War I veteran died. The last person with a first hand account of a significant event in our country's history is now gone. He was a hero. He was someones father, someones grandfather, and at 110 years old, he was probably also a great-grandfather, if not great, great-grandfather. I'm sure that family is missing him greatly.
I think the thing that shocked me the most about the story though is the man's personality/demeanor. "Buckles told CNN in 2007 he accepted the responsibility of honoring those who had gone before him, and to be their voice for permanent, national recognition after he was gone." Also in the article, "Buckles wanted national status granted to the D.C. War Memorial, a marble gazebo built in the 1930s that, for now, honors only his comrades from the District of Columbia. His call was to elevate the designation of the site to join U.S. honors accorded to those who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam."
I think the thing that strikes me the most is that he didn't want anything for himself, but that he selflessly campaigned for his already lost comrades.
For whatever reason this man reminds me of my Grandpa. (http://grasso-isms.blogspot.com/2010/03/great-man-died-today.html) I think of him often and really miss him. I see a lot of him in Gianna - the orneriness, sparkle in her eyes, mischievousness, determination, stubbornness. The type of character we see in selfless leaders who do great things that affect many, but that few will remember.
So in the spirit of remembrance, take a little time to think about those that have come before us and remember what they did to give us what we have today: freedom and the right to live whatever we think our American dream is.
~A
Website down!
15 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment