Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Obsessed much?

Have you seen this commercial?

I find myself increasingly disgusted at this commercial.  Seriously?  Are we THAT obsessed with facebook now as a society that we need our car to provide us real time updates as to the status updates of our facebook 'friends'?

And also, how is this not illegal?!  We can't text or talk while driving here in Connecticut, but you can get facebook updates...That's not distracting at all.  I mean seriously if the girl didn't like the first date in the example of this commercial, he probably would have been so distraught that he would have gotten into an accident right?

Now I know I on occasion can be on facebook a lot and post status updates and pander for votes for my child in cute video contests, but if I don't check my facebook page for my friends updates or even log on for that matter for quite some time, I really don't feel affected.  I use facebook to keep in touch and up to date with a lot of friends and family that don't live in the area, but guess what, I can also pick up the phone and call or write a letter.

Which leads me to my second thought.  We as a society don't write enough letters.  I made a resolution to write a letter a week this year - while I'm not keeping to the one letter a week, I'm sure I'll make it up to 26 letters for the year.  It's kind of nice to write a letter, and I mean hand write, and I get excited when I get letters back in the mail.  It's kind of refreshing.  I write my family members, but I do need to start writing friends more.  Like when I see recipes or articles in magazines I think they'd like.  Just to write a short note of encouragement.  I could use one of those for now...but I kind of hope that me writing letters to them might inspire them to write a letter to someone and keep it going...and hey, while we're at it, maybe we'll help the USPS keep from going under...or probably not....

~A

PS - a little G update - she blows kisses now and it's so stinkin' cute!! :)

1 comment:

  1. The things I miss by not having channels... That is insane. I like to moosh my brain on facebook just like any other internet junkie, especially after I finish homework and class, since I'm already online and I don't want to think a lot anymore. But in the car? Really? Very rarely does someone post something on FB that effects me personally. I like to know how people are doing, but not everything they are doing, while they are doing it.

    I'll write letters with you Boog, but I warn you, I still write the same way I did in HS... (hold on, I'll be right back! Ok I'm back...)

    Give Gi kisses from me :)

    ReplyDelete