First off, here are some of the common 'bad' ingredients found in your every day cosmetics:
- Parabens - These are the second most common ingredients in skin care products, second only to water. It is used as an inexpensive preservative even though they may cause skin rashes and other allergic reactions. Besides those side effects, parabens have been shown in studies to possess mild estrogen-like qualities. Parabens have been linked to human breast cancer tumors, endocrine disruption, organ system toxicity, and are found to possess estrogen-like qualities which mimic female hormones. They are found in baby preparation products, cleansers, deodorants, eye-products, lotions and moisturizers, make up, nail products, hair products, and sunscreens. The good news is that there is a gradual phase out of these preservatives starting to occur in the natural skin care industry. While preservatives are essential, there are alternatives that are all natural and nontoxic that are out there that work just as well.
- Phthalates - Used as solvents in many cosmetics, they are also used as plastic softeners in many different consumer products (sure you want this on your face and intimate areas?). They are found in hair sprays, deodorants, nail polishes, and perfumes. Phthalates can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled and have been shown to damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive systems in studies. They've been linked with reproductive issues and high phthalate levels in mother's bodies have been linked to developmental abnormalities in male infants. They were banned in European products in 2003, but have yet to be banned in the US or Canada.
Lots of fun right? Well, the solution isn't as easy as seeking out products labeled natural or organic. If a product claims it's "All Natural" or "100% Natural" it may not be. Look for information of the perfect of natural ingredients. Also, make sure you read the labels and look for some of the unhealthy ingredients I've listed here. Of course there are others out there, but I could dedicate an entire wikipedia site to listing all the harmful chemicals out there, but these give you some top offenders most commonly found.
So if you are scared out of your mind or even mildly intrigued at this point, what can you do you might ask? Well, again we are lucky that there are quite a few companies out there that have dedicated themselves to making more natural and chemical free options for educated consumers out there. Here are a few of the ones I've tried and had good experiences with. There are definitely many others out there. Feel free to check out http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ for a nice rating of cosmetics.
Burt's Bees - They've become my 'go to' eco-friendly personal products company. I like them because they have clear, easy to read labels and do not include any of these chemicals I've mentioned. Plus, they don't test on animals which is awesome. However, many folks take offense to the fact that Clorox now owns them. I'm fine with them as long as they continue to stay true to their roots and we don't see these bad chemicals start creeping in - so continue looking at these labels. My favorite products of theirs are the baby products, shampoo and conditioner, chap sticks, and milk and honey lotion. I've heard mixed reviews of their facial care products - I liked them upon first using them, but to me they leave a little residue or at least the feeling of residue and it seemed to increase break outs on my skin. So I'm addicted to their pomegranate shampoos and conditions, pomegranate chap stick, and milk and honey lotion, but I've moved on to another set of facial lotion and cleansers. These are easy and convenient to find at your local Target or you can order them straight from the site - http://www.burtsbees.com/
Kiss My Face - Recommended by a vegan friend, I finally found a sampler set of face lotion and cleansers at Target. It has a nice, natural smell and made my skin feel so wonderful. I've only been using it for around two weeks, but I love how it makes my skin feel so far. I also tried some of the Kiss My Face bar soap which smelled nice as well. They also have other cosmetics, but I haven't made more dents into their product lines as Target doesn't have too many of their products yet. Looking into trying more. http://www.kissmyface.com/
Gudonya Too - This is a shop on Etsy that sells all natural cosmetic products. I tried her shampoo and conditioner and while I found it absolutely delicious smelling, it didn't work well on my hair type. I've seen a ton of people rave her products though, which is why I opted to include her shop here. She also has bar soap, shave bars, shaving cream, deodorant, and more. www.etsy.com/shop/gudonyatoo
Tom's of Maine - Lots of people like their products. I tried the toothpaste and wasn't really impressed, but then again it was during the morning sickness period of my pregnancy, so I probably should try it again. They also have deodorant, mouthwash, floss, and soap. http://www.tomsofmaine.com/
A few other brands I've heard good things about are Aveda, Rejuva, and the Sephora all natural line. Just remember when looking for these products to check the labels!
~Amber

No comments:
Post a Comment