Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's all about me me me me me...

So one thing I've always struggled with, but even more so recently it doing things for "me".  For whatever reason, I always feel like I have to *earn* doing something for myself and even then if I deserve it in my mind, I still rarely do it because it might inconvenience someone else around me or cost money or something...there's always an excuse in there.  I just feel selfish thinking of doing something for myself.

Apparently I'm not alone.  I attended a speech recently by Ali Domar and she talked a lot about this.  At some point, most girls lose the ability to do things for themselves without feeling guilty/selfish - usually somewhere in their teenage years.  It's a social influence thing that seems to be passed down subconsciously to us.  Wonderful huh?  She had a great challenge though during the seminar for women: Each day, wake up and think of something YOU want to do for YOURSELF - something for ME.  And do it.

Seems simple right?  ha ha.  On paper.  I thought that was such a profound thought and yet to this date I think I haven't done it.  There's either no time or those guilty emotions come up to the service again.  Mostly for me, G doesn't sleep, so when I wake up, my last thought is about what I want to do and more something along the lines of.."Are you kidding me...I only slept X hours...ugh."

So I thought to myself recently, maybe doing something daily is too challenging of a goal for me.  Kind of like those people who set New Year's Resolutions and then never fulfill them because they aren't actionable or are too much effort.  So my thinking is, maybe I'll start by trying to come up with a list of things I want to do for me and then target doing one a month.  Seems crazy to think about doing something for myself once a month, but it's a huge improvement over what I have in the past.

So without further ado....My list of ME things:
- Get a hair cut and highlight
- Get a new, full wardrobe (which means shopping time)
- Get some new, eco-friendly (of course) make up
- Get a pedicure
- Finish reading "The Happiness Project"
- Start running on a consistent basis again
- Start scheduling one night or part of a weekend day for Amber time while Joe watches G
- Clean/organize my house the way I want to
- Look into becoming a Dove Chocolatier or another side thing to earn a little extra cash and get me out of the house
- Write more
- Go out with my girls on a recurring, consistent basis
- Start doing meal plans so I don't stress about what to make

Wow, I feel like that list is kind of lame...I know there are a TON more items, but right now, I just can't think.  I guess this is a good start though..gives me some things to think about.

Hopefully for those of you who read this (I don't think I have many followers...but it would be awesome if I had more...), I challenge you to make your own "Me" list and work on it too.  What can it hurt right?

Until next time,
~A

No comments:

Post a Comment