Monday, April 19, 2010

Packing for the Hospital - Labor & Delivery

I meant to post this before Gianna was born, but I figure better late than never. I searched lots of places and inquired in a lot of places when figuring out what to pack in my hospital bags. Because of that and the fact that I see it asked a lot, I figured I'd post a blog about it so I could avoid re-typing the answer and just link here.

So without further ado -

Small toiletry bag for during labor: (I used the small travel toiletry bag that came with our luggage)
- hair ties, clips, and head band - I didn't use them but wished I had to keep bangs out of the way as they were really annoying, but I was too busy coping to ask for them.
- chapstick - Great for dry lips. I didn't end up using this as I didn't need it, but I can see how it would be awesome.
- candy to suck on - I didn't use these at the hospital, but would have liked to. I used them before going to the hospital.
- lotion - didn't use but a good idea in case of dry skin or massage. I brought a travel size Burt's Bee lotion. If I had wanted to be touched and wasn't so hot, it would have been great.
- Change for your partner in case they wanted snacks or food from the vending machine (Joe didn't leave me so not used for us, but if it had been a long labor I could see it being useful)
- Bagged snacks for partner - used postpartum but not during labor, but again would have been good if it was a long labor. I packed a couple 100 calorie snack packs.
- Rice bags for hot/cold. Didn't use since I was crazy hot.
- Light satin robe for walking around - I used it and it was nice. I'd say don't buy one if you don't have one but the fact that it was thigh length ans light material was great since I was so hot, yet it was enough coverage so I felt fine walking around. I wouldn't recommend wearing it in bed, just when walking to avoid getting it dirty unless you plan to throw it out.
- slippers - didn't use until postpartum I just walked in my socks
- extra socks - this is a must!!!! If your feet get cold or you get your socks dirty. I actually ended up throwing out the pair of socks I labored in since they had blood on them - TMI alert, sorry, but true.
- camera - We didn't use ours, our doula took pictures. I originally didn't want any, but in hindsight I'm glad we have them. I doubt we'll show them to anyone, but I'm glad to have them.
- Baby book - so they could put the foot prints in it - try and mark that page - it saves time.
- CD or Ipod with speakers - I forgot mine, but I wasn't too happy with it and had planned to make another CD. I wish we could have had Jack Johnson or The Beatles playing during the birth, oh well.
- Flameless candle - I didn't use, but had wanted to for dim lights. In the end, they dimmed the lights so it was perfect.

Postpartum bag: (I used a black duffel bag the size of a gym bag - the travel toiletry bag fit inside it)
- pillow with a colorful pillow case - great for extra support and for your partner. And it smelled like home which was nice. Make sure the pillow case isn't white so you know it's your pillow and not the hospitals.
- camera chargers
- cell phone charger
- Laptop & charger
- nursing bra if you plan to breastfeed
- going home outfit - I did velour pants, a nursing tank, and a zip up long sleeved velour top - I still looked 7 or 8 months pregnant when I went home so plan on that when choosing your outfit.
- I packed extra underwear but didn't use them - the 'mesh' undies the hospital has are great. They aren't really mesh, more stretchy material and are awesome. I asked for an extra pack to bring home - try and bring as many home as possible.
- extra socks - again - awesome to have.
- toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, soap (the hospital doesn't have these), toothbrush and toothpaste, face lotion, make up, deodorant - anything else you use daily to get ready
- Cash for your partner for parking and snacks - the cafeteria didn't take credit cards.

Diaper bag:
- a newborn size outfit and 0-3 size outfit - in case baby was big.
- a couple blankets - better to be prepared for various types of weather
- Soothing lamb that made sounds - she loved it. We used it in the hospital and the staff loved it too.
- diapers, wipes, etc - we didn't use at the hospital, but good to have in case you have to stop somewhere or so it's already packed for when you get home and decide to venture out.

I'd also recommend a small bag for your partner that has a change or two of clothes and their basics - deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment